Reeb Project Fall 2015 Update
2015-2016 Action Timeline
- October 2015 – Phone banks to NC Voters
- February 2016 –Moral March Raleigh, NC
- September 2016 – Voter Registration
- October/Nov 2016 – Get Out the Vote!
About the All Souls Church Reeb Project for Voting Rights
The Reeb Project is named in honor of former All Souls associate minister James Reeb – beaten to death in 1965 when he went to Selma, Alabama, to march for voting rights. The Project has four goals for its work through 2016:
- Have impact on the national discussion on voting rights by leveraging our unique history, DC location and influence within Unitarian Universalism.
- Increase voter turnout in a specific North Carolina community during the 2014 and 2016 election cycles by working in solidarity with local UU congregations and people of color and progressive partner organizations.
- Continually raise consciousness of the injustice of our own disenfranchisement as DC residents and seek remedies to this injustice.
- Build the Beloved Community within and beyond our walls by developing a multiracial, multicultural voting rights team at All Souls and by working in solidarity and partnership with communities of color.
2014 – 2015 Accomplishments
- February 2014: More than 200 All Souls members and friends marched in Moral March in Raleigh, NC with the UUA as part of the Forward Together/Moral Mondays movement
- June 2014: Flashmob on Supreme Court steps to mark gutting of Voting Rights Act
- Summer 2014: Teach ins with national voting rights organizations
- September 2014: Voter registration weekend in Charlotte, NC, with UU Church of Charlotte and Piedmont UU Church registers hundreds of new voters
- October-November 2014: Get out the Vote phone banks with Democracy North Carolina make thousands of calls, successfully increase turn out of African-American first time voters and others
- February 2015: Reeb project returns to Moral March in Raleigh
- March 2015: All Souls delegation travels to Selma for 50th Anniversary of bridge crossing
- July 2015: Reeb Project joined NC NAACP for a massive teach in and Raleigh in Winston-Salem, NC to mark start of trial of Monster NC Voter Suppression law