Reeb Fifth Principle Initiative Call to Action for Democracy
Many of us were deeply moved by Rev. Dr. William Barber’s stirring call to action when he spoke to All Souls. If you want to heed that call and stand up for the integrity of our democratic process join the All Souls Reeb Fifth Principle Initiative in support of major events in April.
Democracy Spring and Democracy Awakening are concurrent movements organizing events taking place April 11—18 to demand action from Congress via demonstrations, teach-ins, and direct action trainings culminating in a Rally for Democracy with the goal of and pressing Congress for true reform.
The corrupting influence of special interest cash in our elections has been greatly increased by the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision. Coupled with the attacks on the basic right to vote that we’ve seen in North Carolina and other states across the country, this threatens the very integrity of our government as a true democracy.
We will depart from All Souls on April 17 after first service
RALLY FOR DEMOCRACY
Mark it on your calendar yesterday!
Be a Host(Est) with the Mostest
We have invited our friends UU friends from Raleigh to rally with us! They opened their hearths and hearts to us and now it is time to show that All Souls knows how to spell hospitality. Please sign up to host a member of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Raleigh the weekend of the rally here:
You'll be hearing from us again soon with further details about upcoming events, and you can always find us in Pierce hall after services. If you have specific questions about Democracy Spring, Democracy Awakening, or the Reeb Fifth Principle's Call to Action, you can contact Mattie Feder (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Reeb Fifth Principle Committee
Fall 2016 preview
We will continue our actions this fall, traveling to North Carolina for voter registration and also supporting Get Out the Vote canvassing and phone banks. We are actively engaged in identifying ways to support voting rights in the District of Columbia. We welcome your ideas and support for these actions and will be meeting after the February trip to plan for the fall.
This will be a very important year in the struggle for voting rights so please be thinking about how you can be a part of it.
About the All Souls Church Reeb Project for Voting Rights
The Reeb Project is named in honor of former All Souls associate minister James Reeb – beaten to death in 1965 when he went to Selma, Alabama, to march for voting rights. The Project has four goals for its work through 2016:
- Have impact on the national discussion on voting rights by leveraging our unique history, DC location and influence within Unitarian Universalism.
- Increase voter turnout in a specific North Carolina community during the 2014 and 2016 election cycles by working in solidarity with local UU congregations and people of color and progressive partner organizations.
- Continually raise consciousness of the injustice of our own disenfranchisement as DC residents and seek remedies to this injustice.
- Build the Beloved Community within and beyond our walls by developing a multiracial, multicultural voting rights team at All Souls and by working in solidarity and partnership with communities of color.
2014 – 2015 Accomplishments
- February 2014: More than 200 All Souls members and friends marched in Moral March in Raleigh, NC with the UUA as part of the Forward Together/Moral Mondays movement
- June 2014: Flashmob on Supreme Court steps to mark gutting of Voting Rights Act
- Summer 2014: Teach ins with national voting rights organizations
- September 2014: Voter registration weekend in Charlotte, NC, with UU Church of Charlotte and Piedmont UU Church registers hundreds of new voters
- October-November 2014: Get out the Vote phone banks with Democracy North Carolina make thousands of calls, successfully increase turn out of African-American first time voters and others
- February 2015: Reeb project returns to Moral March in Raleigh
- March 2015: All Souls delegation travels to Selma for 50th Anniversary of bridge crossing
- July 2015: Reeb Project joined NC NAACP for a massive teach in and Raleigh in Winston-Salem, NC to mark start of trial of Monster NC Voter Suppression law