All Souls Church seeks a Director of Music and Arts to infuse our vibrant, multi-cultural music and arts program with visionary and creative energy. The Director provides creative, administrative and staff leadership to the program, and leads at least one choir. Beyond these essentials, the individual’s unique skill set will determine whether the Director will serve as organist or keyboardist, develop new ensembles, and/or pursue other artistic pathways. The position reports directly to the Senior Minister.
About All Souls Church and Our Music and Arts Program
All Souls Church is a theologically progressive, socially active, diverse congregation of over 1000 members, located in the heart of the nation’s capital. As the national flagship church of the Unitarian Universalist denomination, All Souls is called upon to serve both the local community and witness to the nation. All Souls’ ministers and members have long been leaders in struggles for peace and justice, including civil rights, marriage equality, and affordable housing. All Souls’ recent successful capital campaign is a testament to our congregation’s strength and commitment, and will result in renovations that dramatically improve the church’s ability to provide visionary ministry to the All Souls community.
All Souls’ outstanding music and arts program reflects the diversity of our multiracial, multicultural congregation and community. The choral program consists of two adult choirs and a children’s choir: the All Souls Choir, which sings the first, third and fifth Sundays of the month; the Jubilee Singers, founded by Ysaye Barnwell of Sweet Honey in the Rock, which sings on the second Sunday of the month; and the All Souls Children’s Choir, which sings regularly for children’s chapel and periodically in the main service. The church maintains strong collaborations with fantastic instrumentalists, vocal soloists, and dancers throughout the DC area and beyond. The Rieger organ is one of the most remarkable and versatile organs in the Mid-Atlantic.
- Proven record of outstanding choral leadership, preferably including a degree in music or choral conducting.
- Demonstrated commitment to and proficiency in the musical traditions of multiple cultures.
- Dual commitment to performance excellence and the participatory and spirit-filled nature of music in a congregational setting.
- Collaborative style and willingness to work closely with ministerial staff in programming music for worship, and with the music committee regarding the overall program.
- Administrative capability to lead a large and growing program.
- Respect for and ability to program music that reflects the theological diversity of the Unitarian Universalist tradition.
- Ability to recruit, support, and direct volunteers at varying levels of musical ability.
- Outstanding keyboard, organ, or instrumental skills is preferred.
- Provide visionary leadership and supervision of the growing music and arts program and its staff (currently one other adult choir director, one children’s choir director, professional section leaders, and volunteer assistants).
- Direct the All Souls Choir, a group of approximately 40 dedicated volunteers and four professional section leaders, late August through June (generally every other Sunday, two services, with one weekly evening rehearsal), and the Summer Choir (every Sunday, with rehearsal prior to the single service). Provide necessary keyboard accompaniment (depending on skills).
- Collaborate with the ministerial staff to plan weekly worship, including choosing anthems and hymns.
- Collaborate with the Children’s Religious Education program leaders to integrate music education and performance into the CRE classes, and to develop and grow the Children’s Choir.
- Collaborate with the Music Ministry Committee to ensure that congregational and ministerial expectations are addressed.
- Integrate drama, dance, and other arts into the worship setting and other areas of church life.
- Provide administrative leadership in areas including budgeting; music library and piano/organ/equipment maintenance; hiring of musicians for Sunday services, weddings, and memorial services; and arranging for substitutes.
- Create at least one significant musical experience per year outside of the Sunday services.
- Create at least one adult music education opportunity per year.
- Create, develop, and direct at least one music group at the church in addition to the All Souls Choir.
- Participate in the Unitarian Universalist Musicians Network.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range between $60,000 and $75,000, depending on qualifications and experience. A generous benefits package includes health and disability insurance, paid holidays and vacation, and an employer 401(k) match of 10% of salary after one year of employment.
Please email cover letter, resume, references, recordings, and representative samples of choral programming to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject heading of email should read: “Music Director Search.”
Applications must be received by March 1, 2013. Position begins mid-August 2013.