Chief Program Officer
All Souls Church seeks a Chief Program Officer (CPO) to serve as a senior leader and member of the Executive Team with particular focus on realizing All Souls’ vision of becoming a multiracial, multicultural, and multigenerational community. The CPO will focus on realizing this commitment in all aspects of the life of All Souls, with particular responsibilities for leading all church programs into greater alignment with our vision as well as developing and implementing our leadership development programs for staff and volunteer leaders. The position reports directly to the Senior Minister.
About All Souls Church
All Souls Church is a theologically progressive, socially active, diverse congregation of over 1000 members, located in the heart of the nation’s capital. As a national flagship church of the Unitarian Universalist denomination, All Souls is called upon to serve both the local community and witness to the nation. All Souls’ ministers and members have long been leaders in struggles for peace and justice, including civil rights, marriage equality, and affordable housing. All Souls’ recent successful capital campaign is a testament to our congregation’s strength and commitment, and will result in renovations that dramatically improve the church’s ability to provide visionary ministry to the All Souls community.
Rapid and continued growth of our congregation has created the need for an additional senior leader on our executive team who will focus on our vision of being a multi-racial, cultural, and generational beloved community. All Souls has a rich and diverse set of programs (e.g., religious education, covenant groups, social justice, membership) that have long been part of our tradition. The CPO will lead the continual development and growth of these programs with particular attention to our vision and to building sustainable programs in a large and vibrant congregation. Parallel to this responsibility will be the design and implementation of an integrated leadership development program that will serve and nourish All Souls’ current and future staff and volunteer leaders.
All Souls is led in its ministry and as an organization by its Executive Leadership Team; a Senior Minister, an Associate Minister for Congregational Life and Pastoral Care, and an Executive Director who oversees the church’s operations. All Souls Church seeks a Chief Program Officer to complete its Executive Leadership Team.
The Chief Program Officer (CPO) will serve as the primary member of the executive team focused on strategic alignment and development of ASC programs with the spiritual life and mission of the Church. The CPO will be responsible for program alignment, leadership development for program and lay leaders, and management of a program in adult learning. In fulfilling these responsibilities, the CPO will work closely with the Executive Director and advise the senior and associate ministers, sharing opinions, and providing feedback and advice as appropriate. The CPO reports to the Senior Minister and is the lead supervisor for program staff including the minister of social justice, the director of music and arts, the director of religious education and the director of membership.
- Lead and manage the program ministry of ASC by ensuring program development and alignment with a shared vision for programs within the context of the spiritual life and stated mission of ASC as a multiracial, multicultural, and multigenerational community
- Manage, mentor, supervise and develop ministers and directors with programmatic responsibilities
- Develop and implement leadership development programs for program and lay leaders
- Develop and manage the church’s adult spiritual development program
- Serve as a member of the Executive Team
- Serve as liaison between the Executive Team and the Church Council and the Nominating Committee
- If an ordained minister, serve as support to Senior Minister and Associate Minister by leading Sunday worship and officiating weddings and memorial services as needed. The title may be changed to Chief Program Minister for an ordained minister.
Education and Experience
- Experience building a multiracial, multicultural, multigenerational community
- Thorough understanding of and a commitment to the values of Unitarian Universalism
- Experience bringing executive thinking and skills to complex organizations
- Significant experience (equivalent to 10 years) in a non-profit, church or church-based organization
- Experience supervising program staff
- Experience designing and delivering leadership programs
- Experience working with and managing volunteers
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Masters degree or other terminal degree preferred
- Communication Skills – effectively communicates orally and in writing with staff, lay leaders, those outside the church, and with senior leadership
- Program Alignment and Development – understands the mission and vision of ASC and can support program managers in aligning their work and programs to the mission and vision; can inspire others to see what they may not see by themselves; is able to effectively communicate support and constructive criticism while developing leadership
- Leadership Development – is able to identify leaders and recruit them to positions of responsibility within the church; is able to and helps others appropriately delegate responsibility; builds people up; maintains open and active communication with volunteers; communicates expectations clearly and holds people accountable
- Team Development – demonstrated history of building and leading teams that focus on individual and collective responsibility and support
- Organizational Development – operatives from an understands of what it means for the church to be an organization that is growing; can bring to the church ideas and methods that will improve its functioning as an organization; has a capacity for and interest in organizational development
- Manage Conflict – identifies and deals with problems quickly, directly and responsibly; steps up to conflicts and sees the opportunities in them, listens attentively, settles disputes equitably and is able to create common group and cooperation
- Interpersonal Relationships – demonstrates cultural competency; relates well to a wide variety of people both in the church and outside, builds appropriate rapport; builds effective and constructive relationships; exhibits diplomacy and tact; is regarded as a team player; committed to personal and professional growth
- Trust and Integrity – is widely trusted; seen as direct and truthful; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values during good times and bad times; acts in line with those values
Salary and Benefits
The salary range is between $65,000 and $80,000, depending on qualifications and experience. A generous benefits package includes health and disability insurance, paid holidays and vacation, and an employer 401(k) contribution.
For more information and to apply:
For more information about All Souls Church, please visit us at www.all-souls.org.
To apply, please email letter of interest describing how your experience aligns with the competencies described, resume, and a list of 3 references to AllSoulsCPO@icloud.com. Subject heading of email should read: “CPO Search.”
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by April 30, 2014. The anticipated start date for this position is mid-August 2014.
In pursuit of our mission, All Souls particularly encourages applicants from racial and cultural groups historically marginalized within Unitarian Universalism.