Religious Education Assistant
About All Souls Church
All Souls Church is a theologically progressive, socially active, diverse congregation of over 1000 members, located in the heart of the nation’s capital. As a national flagship church of the Unitarian Universalist denomination, All Souls is called upon to serve both the local community and witness to the nation. All Souls’ ministers and members have long been leaders in struggles for peace and justice, including civil rights, marriage equality, and affordable housing. All Souls’ recent successful capital campaign is a testament to our congregation’s strength and commitment, and will result in renovations that dramatically improve the church’s ability to provide visionary ministry to the All Souls community.
Rapid and continued growth of our congregation has created the need for an additional senior leader on our executive team who will focus on our vision of being a multi-racial, cultural, and generational beloved community. All Souls has a rich and diverse set of programs (e.g., religious education, covenant groups, social justice, membership) that have long been part of our tradition. The CPO will lead the continual development and growth of these programs with particular attention to our vision and to building sustainable programs in a large and vibrant congregation. Parallel to this responsibility will be the design and implementation of an integrated leadership development program that will serve and nourish All Souls’ current and future staff and volunteer leaders.
The Religious Education (RE) Assistant supports the Interim Director of Children’s Religious Education, lay leadership, and volunteers in maintaining and enhancing the All Souls’ Children’s RE program for children and youth. Must be available on Sunday mornings from 8:30 AM to 1:30 PM. The RE Assistant is supervised by the Interim Director of Children’s Religious Education, until June 2016, when a permanent DRE is hired. 20 hours/week yearly. Some flexibility of weekday only hours possible.
- Organizing class supplies, sending out class-related correspondence, copying RE-related materials, etc.
- Maintaining RE record keeping (registrations, attendance, visitors, policies, etc.)
- Maintaining and organizing RE resources, supplies and inventories
- Ensuring readiness for RE-related events
- Providing support for teacher meetings and workshops
- Providing support in implementing RE-related special events (social action projects, milestone events, etc.)
- Coordinating arrangements for Children’s/Youth’s RE events.
- Supervising Sunday Morning Children’s Program when the DRE is away.
- Assisting in planning, coordinating and leading the Summer RE program
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Requirements
- Prior experience with UU Religious Education, values and culture
- Experience in coordinating and supporting volunteers
- Experience working in a congregational or non-profit setting
- Self-motivation, creativity, flexibility, and hard working
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Proficiency with computer programs such as Word, Excel, databases, and websites
- Available to start immediately.
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with experience. Benefits included.
For more information and to apply
To apply, please email letter of interest and resume to Dolores Miller (email@example.com). Subject heading of email should read: “RE Assistant Application.”
In pursuit of our mission, All Souls particularly encourages applicants from racial and cultural groups historically marginalized within Unitarian Universalism.